I'll start by saying that it was much easier to take the cap off than it was to put it back on! We originally took it off (a challenging endeavor in itself) in order to borrow a friend's scaffolding, and it's remained up on sawhorses in our driveway ever since. About a year, actually. What white trash we are, I tell ya! Barry told me that two strong men (like himself) could have lifted it back in place, but I am afraid I didn't quite qualify. And let me just point out, this is a long-bed, full-size F150, not a "toy truck" in the slightest, so the cap is correspondingly longer and heavier than many. Barry ("MacGuyver") craftily designed and built a frame that could support the weight of the cap, and started hoisting it using a come-along. Ooops! The frame was creaking and shifting sideways at the top. More bracing, that was what it needed! After this correction, he re-hoisted the cap, I held it in place, and he backed under it in the truck. It worked! The apparatus was quite a lot of work to build, then disassemble, for such a comparatively small job, but better than putting a friend or neighbor's back out by asking for help. Right?!
Sunday, March 4, 2007
How to replace a truck cap
I'll start by saying that it was much easier to take the cap off than it was to put it back on! We originally took it off (a challenging endeavor in itself) in order to borrow a friend's scaffolding, and it's remained up on sawhorses in our driveway ever since. About a year, actually. What white trash we are, I tell ya! Barry told me that two strong men (like himself) could have lifted it back in place, but I am afraid I didn't quite qualify. And let me just point out, this is a long-bed, full-size F150, not a "toy truck" in the slightest, so the cap is correspondingly longer and heavier than many. Barry ("MacGuyver") craftily designed and built a frame that could support the weight of the cap, and started hoisting it using a come-along. Ooops! The frame was creaking and shifting sideways at the top. More bracing, that was what it needed! After this correction, he re-hoisted the cap, I held it in place, and he backed under it in the truck. It worked! The apparatus was quite a lot of work to build, then disassemble, for such a comparatively small job, but better than putting a friend or neighbor's back out by asking for help. Right?!
Labels:
Home stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think I would have asked the neighbor to lend a hand (o:
Post a Comment